Welcome to LeClaire, IA!


Situated along the upper Mississippi River at the intersection of I-80, LeClaire was home to the brave river pilots who navigated the treacherous Upper Rapids between LeClaire and Rock Island, Illinois. The history of LeClaire began in the mid 1830’s, when the first settlers came to the area. By the end of that decade, there were two towns platted, Parkhurst and LeClaire, the former just north of the latter. Parkhurst was eventually incorporated into LeClaire, along with the narrow strip of land between them which during the 1850’s was known as “Middletown.”

The City of LeClaire offers several options for residents and visitors, featuring unique shops that include gifts, home décor and antiques, the Mississippi River Distilling Company, the Wide River Winery Tasting Room, as well as several annual events, including the Tug Fest when LeClaire takes on Port Byron, Illinois for a tug of war across the mighty Mississippi River that culminates in an amazing fireworks display. Interesting area attractions include the historic River Pilot Homes and the Buffalo Bill Museum, honoring LeClaire’s most famous native son, William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody, as well as local history and the Lone Star Steamer at the River Pilot’s Pier on the LeClaire Levee that also includes a Boat Launch, parking, picnic areas and a Veteran’s Memorial. Enjoy the Mississippi River on the Twilight River Boat cruise. Nature photographers will be delighted at the best viewing of Bald Eagles in the continental United States at Lock & Dam 14 in the Winter and Pelicans that call LeClaire “home” during Spring and Summer months.

Some sixty structures compose the Cody Road Historic District in LeClaire, ranged along both sides of a nine block stretch of U.S. 67, locally known as Cody Road and the community’s principal thoroughfare. The road runs north/south, parallel to, and slightly above, the Mississippi River. It is heavily traveled, being the main road between Clinton on the north and Davenport about fifteen miles to the southwest. The district contains both residential and commercial structures, the latter concentrated in the south end, and extending north along the east side of Cody Road. Most of the residential structures are found on the west side, facing the Mississippi River. The boundaries of the Cody Road Historic District have been drawn to include all of the historic resources along the street, and stop at the north and south ends where modern construction fairly abruptly begins. On the west side, the district begins with 102 N. Cody (northwest corner Cody and Dodge) and runs through 816 North Cody. On the east side, the district begins with the first of three late 19th century commercial buildings (123 South Cody) and ends with 803 North Cody. Intrusive structures may be characterized wither as low, one-story blocks, faced with brick or artificial siding (some with a “rustic” look), or, on the west side in particular, larger, glass-fronted buildings with deep setbacks and large parking lots.
Source: leclaireiowa.gov

Click Here to Start your LeClaire Home Search!